Predictive Analytics in Software Testing
January 13, 2017
In today’s world, there are a lot of companies which face sudden increase in costs, production delays and experiencing operational risks due to lack of Predictive Analytics in Testing. Predictive Analytics is a data driven technology which can be leveraged to predict failure points in testing and determine the future. It has the power to optimize project data and enables the business leaders to make really quick strategic decisions.
Broadly, there are two types of companies. In one type, there are software testing companies which perform testing using its in-house testing environment and in the other type, there are software development companies which simply outsource the entire testing activities to preferred vendors.
• A software testing company focuses on timely launch of the product by using its in-house testing team.
• A software development company outsources testing and expects on time deliverables.
Typically, testing companies follow a lengthy process for any testing project in an effort to reduce operational issues and costs. In this process, these companies encounter many issues with every new project.
Let’s look at some of the challenges involved with in-house testing.
In-house Testing Challenges
• Finding right testers and aligning them to the project
• Fix time and budget for the project
• Need of Multiple testing tools and infrastructure
• Meeting productivity goals
• Current testing issues leading to unknown future challenges
• Different Stake-holders expecting different reports
Testing companies need to perform Predictive Analytics at operational level to avoid productivity delays and issues while dealing with root causes at the early stages. The development companies that outsource all the testing activities would prefer looking forward to focus more on core business while avoiding increasing costs associated with testing but these companies face a lot of delays for deliverables and the costs keep exceeding.
Let’s look at some of the expectations from outsourcing testing.
Expectations of the Client from Testing Vendors
• Complete requirement understanding of the projects
• Flexible to quickly adapt to changes in the requirements
• Adherence of delivering on time
• Communication and Coordination
• Testing effectiveness, consistency and satisfaction
• Test coverage
• On time product delivery
The development companies need to perform Predictive Analytics at the business level to avoid slow deliverables by identifying right vendor and a right team for right project.
Predictive analytics is rapidly becoming one of the most-discussed topics in software testing projects because it can mitigate operational risk and help in planning, quality and delivery. Predictive analytics is widely used today in many industries such as healthcare, life sciences, insurance and finance but it is not limited to only these industries. It can be leveraged in Software Testing to significantly improve business.
Advantages of Predictive Analytics in Software Testing
• Predict testing issues at the earliest which can lead to unknown future challenges
• Predict deliverables
• Mitigate Communication and Coordination issues
• Predict right environment/right Vendor
• Improve Planning, Quality and Delivery
• Meet business needs
Conclusion: Predictive Analytics helps development and testing companies in identifying the root causes of all the problems and in making proactive decisions at the earliest.