How Much Should a Logo Design Cost?
February 15, 2017
How much does it cost to get a logo designed for your business? The correct answer to this question is anywhere from nothing up to hundreds of thousands of dollars.
You could generalize and say that you get what you pay for. This statement would be true 70% of the time but there are definitely many cases where people spend a lot of money and get rubbish and cases where people spend only a little and get a real branding jewel that works wonders for their business. So it is worth putting some thought into the process of choosing a designer.
Here are some factors that will affect the price that you pay for a logo.
1) The free model – Do it yourself logo design templates are available online for little of no cost. You can throw something together with some clip-art, customize the name and you’re away laughing. The downside is that you won’t be able to trademark the design and without schooling in good design practice your results will likely be amateurish. Some cheaper logo companies will put something together for you but they will sell the same logo many times over so you are not getting something original that can be copyrighted. Going for a custom logo design is the best option as you will have a designer put something unique together that is taylor-made to your company branding needs.
2) Meeting face to face – If you go for a local designer you will benefit from face to face consultations to discuss the project but this comes at a price. Online logo design firms cut costs by avoiding coffee drinking sessions with clients and will still understand your needs from the briefing form that you fill out online. Web based designers also cut overheads by working in back offices instead of fancy design studios.
3) Location of the company – Western designers usually understand how to brand western companies better than foreigners, however there are some great designers in places like the Philippines and India who will work for much cheaper. The problem here is that if you are sued for trademark infringement you will not be able to take legal action against them if they are outside the US. Local designers will always confirm that you will indeed own the rights to your unique logo design.
4) Service level – The more expensive package you go with the more will be included. Take note of how many designers will work on your case, how many unique initial concepts you will be offered and how many chances you will have to request small changes (rounds of revisions).
Ask about the guarantee policy before you go ahead and order. Find out if they will offer a complete redraw if you don’t like the concept or if they will refund your money in the case that you don’t like what they present to you.
Delivery time can vary between companies and other factors can affect pricing such as the format that you get your files in.
5) Design Quality – Definitely the most important factor in determining how much a logo design should cost. If you are paying top dollar and plan on spending over $1000 you should first seek proof that you will end up with value for money. Check out their design portfolio, ask for references from other customers, find out how experienced and qualified the designers really are and even seek evidence that they have won some design awards or competitions.
Think about why you need the logo. If its just for a website or a short term project you should be fine with some of the cheaper service providers. If, however you are building a future fortune 500 mega-corporation then you may want to spend at least $300 to $400 and possibly a lot more.
Generally you can get a reasonable good custom logo design online for between $25 and $200. The high end operators will tell you that you can only get junk at this price level but in my opinion they are wrong. It is possible to get a great logo online for a low price.
How much should an online logo design cost? As much as you are prepared to pay. But don’t kid yourself that price is everything.