Camera Design Service Vendors Gearing Up for a New Phase With New Standards
July 4, 2017
Not many companies are well versed with camera designs and their tweaks and hence few players are moving towards custom development of board cameras and smart vision sensors based on different processors. Also with the advent of several cameras and camera architectures, companies now have a strong base to build new products.
Some companies can design cameras to customer requirements in short timelines too.
Companies usually face the challenge of meeting hardware and software design specifications of the camera.
High definition images might have to be clicked at regular intervals, sometimes in a fraction of a second! Some companies now opt for drones that would house several cameras, and then try to stitch and synchronise the images simultaneously, so that the shots can be taken from all possible angles.
Also the core challenge here is to reduce the camera size since the product needs to be a marketable product that also needs to be considerably affordable.
For such a camera design, companies strike a balance with its hardware design, PCB design, Bootloader porting, and the efforts expended on Device drive modification, Camera app development and Testing procedures.
The need for integrated camera solutions
Integrated camera solutions with small, lightweight, and inexpensive 5 Megapixel camera with an adequate CMOS sensor is in great demand in the market. These solutions include the snapshot mode and the continuous mode at various resolutions. The MiniSD card works for local storage for such cameras.
The solution also includes an external trigger for Camera synchronization, instinctive photo captures, and the like.
Such companies offer independent camera design offerings including
• Prototype development
• Complete board design and Mechanical design
• uBoot and Kernel changes
• Porting on new hardware
• Production support
• CMOS and CCD sensor integration
• Monochrome, Color, and near IR development
• Embedded processor development including FPGA and ARM processors
• Standard/ Custom mounting options
• Robust enclosures suitable for industrial camera use
• Integrated LED lighting
Types of Cameras for Different Applications
• 3 megapixel Cameras with color and monochrome sensors
• 2K Line Scan Camera compliant with DCAM standard
• VGA cameras with onboard DSP
• Line-scan sensor integrated with DSP
• A PTZ (Pan-Tilt-Zoom) High Definition 720p or 1080p 30fps conferencing camera with autofocus
• Linescan camera setup with onboard image processing
Custom cameras are developed for integrate the required sensor, optics or mounts. These cameras also include autofocus feature, lighting setup, enclosure material based on the environment, ruggedness to shocks and vibrations, and adherence to several safety and regulatory compliances.
Benefits offered by integrated cameras and their design proposed by the best vendors
• Reduced time for development: The company’s experience in designing imaging products and solutions is crucial and hence becomes the differentiating factor in the faster process execution of design and building cameras.
• Reduced cost: The platform based development model reduces the cost of development of camera products considerably. Nowadays offshore companies can even lower the cost of development especially if they are developed from scratch.
• Application Support: Support at the application level is crucial especially in context with image processing algorithm development. Years of expertise and experience in imaging and image processing boil down to the efficiency rendered during support. Also a company with resources who have previous system integration experience would relate with customer needs and pain points too.
• Integrated Solutions: Companies who are certified for CE, FCC, and UL will always strive to get the prototype ready based on the design in terms of ingress, temperature, and other specifications.